Given the times that we live in, we needed to ask ourselves whether we should take a break from teaching our part-time hands-on courses. After all, there's a global pandemic going on. Do people want to participate in a thorough course right now? We do have other skills we can focus on if need be - in addition to teaching we are expert consultants as well as Front & Backend developers.
Truth be told, even we weren't up for it this past Summer. We skipped our Summer semester altogether.
In the Fall we decided to let people decide for themselves. Enough students did enroll so we went ahead with our 3-month part-time course. I'll admit, I still wondered how people would feel about it given the distractions. We moved forward because I didn't want to unilaterally decide to put their careers on hold, and we already have a policy to let our students retake the course for free.
The course turned out to be a nice change of pace, a chance to socialize, and a chance to grow during otherwise uncertain times. The Fall 2020 Debug Academy students have said that taking this course during such an uncertain year has actually helped them handle the curveballs of this wild year.
- “I have found working on our classwork/homework and attending classes has provided me with a lot of peace, stability, and socialization in a crazy time where I'm isolated while working from home”
- “It's given me some strength as I can go back over the previous videos and homework and get a much more peaceful feeling. Mostly because I can use what I'm learning almost immediately. It's been super helpful.”
Now that the Fall semester is complete we're working with our new alumni to contribute back to the Drupal community. We're excited to show you what we're working on!
Additionally, our team is turning our attention to the Spring 2021 semester ( https://debugacademy.com/event/drupal-course-spring-2021/sun-2021-01-31 ), which begins on January 31st, 2021. All classes are fully online.
So if you're looking to pick up a new skill or teach a course but wondering whether it's a good time - our experience says to try it out!
Next semester begins January 31, 2021
Our Drupal 9 & 8 course is unique in its format and is accessible to individuals of all backgrounds. This semester will be taught by our founder, Ashraf Abed (hello!), who is a certified Drupal 7 and 8 Grand Master and is well connected in the Drupal community.
- Topics covered include: Development environments, Git, Composer, Front End Development (SASS, Twig), PHP, Object Oriented Programming, and so much more
- Two 3-hour sessions per week for about 12 weeks.
- Sunday from 10am-1pm Eastern
- Wednesdays from 7:15pm-10:00pm Eastern
- Semester begins January 31st, 2021
- Fits in your life: Time off for holidays, additional time off after tougher topics
- Become a Drupal contributor by doing your homework!
- We contribute something new to Drupal each semester
- Join a tight-knit community of Drupal developers
- Alumni have said we provide "a great community within the wider Drupal community", and that the ability to brainstorm tough development problems with other alumni after the semester's conclusion has been invaluable
Learn how to
- Use the Command Line Interface (CLI)
- Manage packages, patches, and dependencies with Composer
- Setup & use a local Drupal Development environment
- Use Git commands and team workflows
- Manage updates in Configuration in Code for Enterprise development
- Write semantic HTML5 & CSS
- Understand and apply Responsive design fundamentals
- Use SASS in Drupal themes
- Modify Drupal 8 & 9 themes with Twig
- Drupal Site building
- Create searchable lists of content with Drupal's query generator, "Views"
- Understand the basics of Drupal Data Architecture
- Gain efficiency with CLI tools, Drush & Drupal Console
- Utilize PHP Fundamentals and programming best practices
- Comprehend Object Oriented Programming in PHP
- Debug PHP using an IDE
- Write Basic Drupal modules
- Use Drupal hooks and interpret the Drupal API
- Inject data into themes with PHP
- Choose how to build Drupal pages from various options: nodes, twig, layout builder, PHP pages
- Familiarize yourself with advanced Drupal caching layers
- In this thorough course, there's even more!
Interested? Learn more at our student-built website today! https://debugacademy.com/event/drupal-course-spring-2021/sun-2021-01-31
Prefer to speak with an instructor?
- Schedule a call: https://debugacademy.com/event/information-session-our-instructors
- Message us: https://debugacademy.com/contact
And if you'd like to join the upcoming semester: