This course teaches Drupal 7 module & PHP developers what they need to know about Object Oriented Programming and how to apply advanced programming principles in Drupal 8. Through hands-on exercises, students will build a non-trivial Drupal 8 module utilizing OOP principles and newer, advanced techniques including Services & Service Collectors, Dependency Injection, custom Plugins, events, and more.
If you’re an experienced Drupal 7 module developer, the basics of Drupal 8 module development probably look pretty familiar. If you’re looking to advance to the next level in Drupal 8 module development, however, you’ll need to pick up object-oriented programming and delve into the new functionality in Drupal 8 that OOP produces.
Advanced Module Development with OOP addresses that need. This course teaches object oriented programming principles in the context of hands-on advanced module development. You’ll learn OOP concepts and their practical use as we develop a non-trivial Drupal 8 module.
This class is designed for:
Developers matching any one of these:
- People very comfortable writing PHP code (non-OOP is OK)
- People comfortable creating Drupal 7 modules (using PHP)
- People who have created basic Drupal 8 modules
What You'll Learn
- Explore the major concepts of Object Oriented Programming at an accelerated pace suitable for experienced PHP developers
- Become comfortable with the differences (and pros and cons) of Hooks vs Events
- Build reusable/swappable functionality using Drupal 8 Services and Service Collectors
- Utilize Dependency Injection to let the infrastructure provide system objects more efficiently
- Utilize the Plugin system to expose swappable user-facing functionality
- Learn how thousands of videos (new & existing) are auto-tagged on Drupal.tv (the module we're creating will be used there!)
A Better Way To Learn
Previous graduates built debugacademy.com, debugsociety.com, and more live websites!
Our personalized approach to teaching allows us to cater to individual student strengths and interests. Students are part of a real development team working on real projects. You'll even leave with a working portfolio and applied experience on a software project led by a senior developer.
Meet The Instructor(s)
At Debug Academy, we make sure we've got the right people in the room to get you the best education possible. Our instructors are screened, evaluated and skill-tested to ensure a quality learning experience for everyone.
Ashraf Abed is a certified Drupal 7 & 8 Grand Master, and a former Technical Architect at Acquia. He is involved in numerous enterprise development projects and has been fortunate enough to experience working as the lead developer on websites like Whitehouse.Gov and other prominent Drupal websites. Teaching is his passion.
Lisa’s so uncool that she doesn’t actually hate any technologies, though she does give CSS serious side-eye now and then. She is an intelligent, creative, and charismatic Drupal developer and instructor who has experience co-teaching 3 sold out courses at DrupalCon. In addition to her training work, Lisa has worked in both commercial and government technology with companies like Bixal, IBM, Procter & Gamble, and SRA International.
Get More Information
Not sure if you're ready to apply for the class just yet? Get our course information packet.